Use Your Own Domain
Getting an official fediverse account for your organisation? Name it at your own existing domain:
@ news @ our.example.org.
Avoid the temptation to skimp on initial effort. Don't register a user account at some public fediverse hosting instance:
@ our-example-org @ a.public.site. That's lame. It's also suspicious and untrustworthy, like if a company emails you from a gmail address, because anyone can create accounts on public instances with your name in them.
Own your own identity: use your own domain name.
(You can still outsource the hosting and administration of the server.)
- It's wise to own your channels of communication
- It helps readers verify who you are on the Fediverse
- Understand “Who Controls Your Online Identity?”
- Find managed hosting: look through a list such as Darnell's “Stress Free Managed Hosting Options” or search for “fediverse managed hosting”
- Configuring your own server? Learn how to reverse-proxy the well-known discovery endpoints: https://www.aeracode.org/2022/11/01/fediverse-custom-domains/ or proxy to an account on a public instance: https://philna.sh/blog/2022/11/23/alias-your-mastodon-username-to-your-own-domain-with-jekyll/
- email me:
- matrix me:
Donations gratefully accepted